J.U. Smit pumping station

The J.U. Smit pumping station, established in 1972, is located on the Lage Boezem of the Nederwaard. It replaced the station built in 1927, which in turn had replaced the "Van Haaften" steam-powered station built in 1868. The pumping station was named after the 'dyke grave' of the then Water Board De Nederwaard, Mr J.U. Smit. It was designed by the ‘fabriek’ P.A.C. de Bruin as can be seen in the pumping station. A ‘fabriek’ is the title of the head of the technical department of a water board. This pumping station pumps the water to a headrace that discharges the water via a sluice to the river Lek.

The pumping station has three screws. The screw channels can be adjusted in length using valve and slide constructions, enabling them to pump to different water levels. Three diesel engines drive the screws. The nearby Overwaard pumping station also discharges its water via the sluice, but through separate pipes. The building consists of a pump house and an annex, which houses a workshop and service rooms. The machine room contains the diesel engines, the gearboxes and an operator room.
The J.U. Smit pumping station plays an important role in the drainage history of the Netherlands as an example of a pumping station equipped with diesel-driven screws: only two of these stations still exist in the Netherlands.